Friday 11 March 2016

Christmas & Childlike Thinking

Happy Friday :)

Working in the hospitality industry means Christmas never actually ends. Having completed the 2016 Christmas brochure in January, this week we did our first 'blitz' on unsuspecting people who were all really happy to hear from us talking about festive cheer. Which made me think about the phrase "Non refundable & non transferable " which is probably the most popular line in the office throughout December and has now become just as much part of Christmas as mince pies & paper hats. So, just spare a thought this year when booking your Christmas parties that just because; you've fallen out with your work mates, your dog has died and the whole situation is making you feel "positively weepy" no you cannot have a refund as it is "non refundable & non transferable"


Two incidents this week happened that have made me realise I need to apply some childlike thinking far more often than I do.
Firstly, my youngest was bitten, twice at nursery. This wasn't a massive deal to me, I understand that the child who did it isn't an unruly monster (I think...) it's just one of those toddler things. The nursery were distraught and in line with Ofsted protocol had completed the appropriate paperwork with a detailed written description of the who, what and why followed by a diagram of where the bite had accured (on his body). What I wasn't quite prepared for was the final section of 'action taken' which is normally- cold compress applied, cuddles given etc. This time the nursery informed me that "the other child is now going to be chaperoned at all times"
As an adult thinking about this, my initial thoughts were pity for the poor mite feeling singled out and self conscious then I realised that they won't give a monkey's. They'll have a helper on hand for their every wim, instant snot wiper, drink giver etc. etc. Work into this that up aged two years old children don't recall much/arguably anything anyhow. Yes apparently that is true, all those wasted day trips, birthday parties...next time you want to laze at home, go for it they'll never remember!!
Secondly, my eldest was telling another child (whilst I was there and feeling very awkward and uncomfortable on their behalf) that he wasn't listening to him because he was a naughty boy. Subsequently the teacher informed me that my eldest deals with conflict very maturely and simply tells said child that he is not playing with him today and removes himself from the situation. Although the idea of my child being very sensible gave me a warm, slightly smug glow it did leave me pondering about the feelings of the other child, again from an adult perspective. When I broached with the teacher about me not wanting my eldest to upset the other child. The teacher alaid my fears that the extent of the damage done was a two minute dint to their pride before racing off playing with others without a second thought.

I'm hoping that applying some childlike thinking will enable me to achieve a couple of things;
1/See the importance/effect from a 16 month and 5 year old perspective, which I guarantee 99% of the time will be of non or considerably less than you are imagining
2/Make me feel less guilty when I don't take my 16 month to a farm but get some tidying up done while he plays with Peppa pig on in the background :)

Enjoy the weekend x

No comments:

Post a Comment