Friday 18 November 2016

Working Mum Confession

Happy Friday :)

hot drinks all around

Working mum v Stay at home mum is up there with the pointless comparison of Breast feeding v Bottle feeding. Each holds it's own merits. Whatever team you camp in the clue is in the title. Everyone is a 'mum' and everyone is 'feeding'. Big up to all mums. Nuff said.

The right choice for me is being a working mum. I could say I made this decision as I like that my boys see both parents bringing home the bacon or that interacting with others from an early age helps develop their social skills. All of which I believe to be true. But the driving force behind me being a working mum is because I simply want to be.

I enjoy turning my brain off from 'mum mode'. Depending on the type of morning drop offs the solitary commute to work is at worst pleasant and at best amazing. Once at work I'm actually able to get things done.  I can visit the loo, alone.  Enjoy a hot drink without having to microwave it three times.  Finish a conversation AND remember what was said. Essentially, I'm in control of my day.

Being away makes me a better mum. My patience is renewed. My enthusiasm for play doh is revived. My tether is rewound. My tolerance for Mr Tumble is restored. My composure is refreshed. I think you get the idea.

I reckon I'd be a terrible SAHM and can imagine becoming unintentionally resentful. Meanly making voodoo dolls of my escaping husband. Getting frustrated that my toddler isn't down with getting through the daily to do list. Seeing my patience deteriorate. Feeling my enthusiasm for play doh slip away. Having murderous thoughts about Mr Tumble. I'd be pitching a 5.30pm bedtime and quite possibly turn into an alcoholic.

Sorry Tumble

I make no apologies loving being a working mum. But I also respect and if I wore a hat would take it off to stay at home mums. One thing that unites us all is the much deserved glass of Friday night vino :)

No comments:

Post a Comment